Emergency Dental Care in Palos Verdes
We’re here for your Dental Emergencies
Same day appointments are available for dental emergencies here at Total Smile Care. When you’re in pain and in need of immediate assistance, Dr. Palani’s staff will get you in as soon as possible. Dr. Palani will find the source of your pain and handle the cause all on the same visit.
If there are any doubts as to the immediate cause of the pain, he’ll do some digital x-rays. Otherwise, after you are feeling well, he’ll do a full oral exam and x-rays to establish the exact dental issue.
If it turns out that you need a tooth extraction, he performs them quickly and gently. Even if you need multiple wisdom teeth extracted, you can count on him to extract them with minimal discomfort.
What to do when you have a dental emergency
- Bitten tongue, lip or gum – clean the area and apply an ice pack. Call us.
- Broken jaw – call us immediately.
- Broken tooth – Save the pieces if you can to bring with you. Rinse your mouth with warm water to get rid of any remaining small broken pieces. If there is bleeding. If you have pain, apply a cold compress to the area. Call us.
- Dental abscess – call us immediately as dental abscesses can lead to a serious infection if not treated right away. To ease the pain and to try drawing the infection to the surface, rinse your mouth with mild salt water solution of ½ teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of water several times a day. Call us.
- Knocked out tooth –if you can, save the tooth. Hold it by the crown and rinse off the root if it’s dirty but don’t scrub it. Try to put the tooth back, in making sure it is facing the right way. Otherwise, put it in a container of milk or water of salt and a product such as Save-a-Tooth. Call us right away. We can often save your tooth if we can return it to its socket within one hour. Call us.
- Loose crown. If a crown falls off try to slip it back over the tooth, first preparing the inside with over-the-counter dental cement, denture adhesive or even toothpaste. Otherwise, bring the crown with you. Call us.
- Lost dental filling – seal the filling area with some sugarless gum or dental cement you can buy over the counter at the drug store. Call us.
- Toothache – Rinse your mouth out with warm water and with dental floss remove and particles of food. If you have a swollen mouth, apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth. Call us.